Top Ten Tuesday - Hype Worth It?

 

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. Here is the topic of the week:

✨ Books I Read/Avoided Because of the Hype ✨

I'm gonna do a lil twist on the topic and mention 5 books I read because of the hype and loved, and 5 books I also read because of the hype but should've avoided 😅

5 Books That Deserve The Hype

1. Assistant to the Villain - I had an absolute blast with this one. I think it started off as a TikTok series but then got turned into a book? Not sure but it's the best kind of ridiculous 💜 

2. Powerless - this had all the tropes you could ask for and I ate it up 

3. The Winner's Curse - it took me AGES to read this. It was on all "top ya series ever" and I just couldn't bring myself to read it. PAST ME IS DUMB. This is one of the greatest series ever 😂

4. AGGGTM - if we ignore the fact that I hated the last book in this series, this book was amazing. It set a new standard among YA mystery novels, and I loved every bit of it. 

5. Shatter Me - teen me devoured this and I firmly believe I would've enjoyed this now too if I just pretended the sequel series doesn't exist and only read the OG trilogy.

5 Books That I Should've Avoided

1. Lightlark - the difference between this one and Powerless is that Powerless doesn't try to be something it's not. It's simple and effective. Lightlark also has popular tropes and hate-to-love romance, but it tries so hard to have a complex world/storytelling that it gets lost in it. Nothing makes sense.

2. Anna and the French Kiss - I hated this book with a burning passion of a thousand suns. The MC is whiny, a terrible friend, and generally just stupid. 

3. Paper Towns - honestly, I don't even wanna waste my keyboard by writing a review for this. Pretentious teen philosophers are not my genre. Sorry not sorry J.G.

4. The Sun Is Also a Star -insta love, basically some stalking and an insufferable main character...do I need to say more?

5. The Heir - this one is completely my fault. I literally despised the sequels to The Selection and I thought to myself "can this get any worse?" so I decided to read this overhyped book. And I certainly got the answer to my question 😂

💬 Have you read any of these books? If you participated in this week's TTT feel free to drop a link below and I'll check it out! 💬 

Post a Comment

10 Comments

  1. It’s super fun when a book is hyped up and when it deserves every bit of that praise!

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true! It brings us readers a great satisfaction! ♥

      Delete
  2. I thought Anna and the French Kiss was fine, but I was younger and less experienced then. I think I would hate it if I’d reread it now.

    My TTT: https://laurieisreading.com/2024/10/01/books-ive-read-because-of-the-hype/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah that's understandable, I feel that way about a lot of books from my teen years

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these, but I'm curious about Powerless.

    https://getlostinlit.blogspot.com/2024/10/top-ten-books-that-should-be-tv-shows.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oohhh you'll have great fun with that one!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of these yet, but the two that are on my TBR are on your good list, so that's promising. I hope you have a fabulous week. - Katie

    Here's my TTT - https://justanothergirlandherbooks.blogspot.com/2024/09/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-bought-because.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefuly you'll enjoy them as much as I did! And thanks, you too! ♥

      Delete
  5. I agree with #3. I loved the series up until that horrible twist that I hated! So frustrating.

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true! I don't know why the author chose to do that!

      Delete

;