A Taylored Experience - Pt. 1

 

So ever since that new Taylor album dropped, I had this thought..Considering I found this album to be a huge disappointment  I thought to myself, instead of looking at new stuff, maybe I should look at old stuff. And that's where this idea was born - I will go through ALL....

Yes, all 10 of Taylor Swift albums, from oldest to newest, trying to find new songs that I'll actually like. Basically, I will review every song from the album (including bonus tracks), try not to be sassy, fail, create the most epic, funny experience ever and find new music to listen to on the way.

P.S. this type of "project" will probably include other artists after I'm done with Taylor, because I have so many bands I like but don't know their "older hits."

Without further ado, the first album issss


 

Taylor Swift (2006)

Honestly, after listening to the whole album, I don't know what's worse - the songs or these album cover design fails, but alas...if we want to get to the good stuff, we have to suffer through the humble beginings...

Since I'm such a good person, all of the songs will have links to YouTube so you can suffer with me. Also, a little disclaimer, I have no idea about any of the drama and backstories Taylor threads through her songs so all my opinions are purely of her music. But I have a feeling our resident Taylor expert will offer us a new perspective on all the songs later 😏

 

1.    "Tim McGraw"    ★✰✰✰✰

- this sounds like basically every country ballad ever and is instantly forgettable and I have proof - I listened to this whole album like a month ago, and by the time I started writing this post, I couldn't remember if I heard this song before or not

2.    "Picture To Burn"    ★★★✰✰

- this one was much more fun, it's like a classic pop country revenge song and I'm all here for it. It's like Before He Cheats and Since You've Been Gone had a baby and that baby was an angsty teen 😂

3.    "Teardrops on My Guitar"    ★✰✰✰✰

- I had high hopes for this one because it's so popular but unfortunately, I couldn't take it seriously at all. It just tries too hard to be sad and deep but just ends up being cringe

4.    "A Place in This World"   ★★★✰✰

- honestly, this song is such a bop. It fits that early 2000s vibe like it could be a part of a teen movie soundtrack where the main character isn't like other girls and wants to go to this special school abroad or something, and when she gets there she meets this cute guy who totally isn't like other guys, but of course something happens and they have to break up, just to date again after he makes a grand gesture...

5.    "Cold as You"    ★★✰✰✰

-  the third ballad on this list, but this one is slightly better because I think it has better vocals

6.    "The Outside"    ★★✰✰✰

- aaand we're back in the "happy but thoughtfull 2000s pop vibe." Honestly, this song would easily fit into a Barbie soundtrack. Maybe it's just me, but I totally hear this vibe.

7.    "Tied Together with a Smile"    ★✰✰✰✰

- utterly forgettable, this song is like one of those you hear on the radio while you're on a long car ride, and you might even vibe with it, but the moment it ends, so does your memory of it

8.    "Stay Beautiful"   ★✰✰✰✰

-  do you know when you watch those feel good romance movies (preferably low budget Hallmark ones), there's always this one montage of the main couple where they visit like a small town festival or something and they're constantly smiling, picking apples, playing games to win stuffed animals and whatnot..well, this song would play in the background :)

9.    "Should've Said No"    ★★★✰✰

-  I think this one might be my fave on this album. It's so much fun and just seems like the type of song you'd scream your lungs out with your friends

10.    "Mary's Song (Oh My My My)"    ★✰✰✰✰

-  sweet, I guess...it's not bad, but not that good either

11.    "Our Song"     ★✰✰✰✰

-  ok wow, I acidentally started watching the music video for this and regreted it immediately. Idk what to say about this one expect that it annoys me, her voice is annoying, the video is annoying, the lyrics are cringe...ahh

BONUS TRACKS

12.    "I'm Only Me When I'm With You"     ★★✰✰✰

- cute and it recieves bonus points for being about friendships

13.    "Invisible"     ★✰✰✰✰

14.    "A Perfectly Good Heart" ★✰✰✰✰

- I'm gonna review these two together because they were so unmemorable and boring I just don't wanna bother writing more than this

 And that's all for this round, I have to say that it turned out exactly like I thought it would - I mean, it's her country era + most of these were ballads which is a genre I'm not particularly fond. In any case, I can't wait to go through all the others because even though I didn't like most of these songs, it was so much fun writing reviews for them :D

0 comments

;