Top Ten Tuesday - School Assigned Reads

  

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. Here is the topic of the week:

✏️Books I Was Assigned to Read in School✏️

Yes, yes, I know it's Wednesday, but if you've read my last post you'll know why I'm posting this late 😅 I'M A MESS OKAY.

Jodie pls 😭😭

Enough with the self-deprecating humor, let's go back to the topic. Some of the books we had to read were by Croatian authors and I found most of them to be boring, so I'll only be mentioning one I liked and the rest will be "international" 😂

Starting off with one of my faves The Black Cat...and yes, I was that kid that liked the creepy morbid stuff 😅 The story is quite heavy and deals with some dark topics. While I still find it fascinating, I do think it's disturbing and I don't plan on reading it again.

While offering a gorgeously written complex psychological story, Crime and Punishment is where my "hatred" for long books began 😂 It was one of the longest books we had to read and we had little time to do it. Like I said, I appreciate it and consider it a decent classic, but the 600+ pages of inner monologues bring me to tears. 

I know Metamorphosis has artistic value and probably has some meaningful and poetic points, but I hate bugs and I thought this was too ridiculous 😂 I'm sorry but I just don't like giant bug people nor sad endings 😅

I'm gonna get so much hate for saying this, but I didn't like The Catcher in the Rye. The main character was so annoying, and whiny and I absolutely hated him. I get that that's why it's technically good - he represents a lot of teens by not knowing what he wants, swearing and being annoyed by everyone and everyting..but I was not that teen. I couldn't connect with him. 

The Odyssey belongs to that specific category of books I did not understand nor did I care to. Written in a complex language I remember being so bored and just wanted to get it over with. 

Now this is something I sort of liked 😂 Just like The Black Cat, I seem to lean towards the dark, morbid stories and it doesn't get darker than kids becoming evil and killing each other in Lord of the Flies. I don't remember much of the story now but I do remember being both disgusted but also fascinated by their turn over to darkness. 

Last but not least was my fave tween book Dnevnik Pauline P. or in English The Diary of Pauline P. Amids all those boring "poignant" books, this story was like a breath of fresh air. Pauline was this ridiculous, kinda manic pixie girl who got into all sorts of shenanigans at school. I think I liked it most because not only was it funny, but it also mentioned real-life problems many teens faced that when you look at them from an adult perspective were not real problems, but when you're going through them as a kid they seem like life-or-death situations. 

I know I only mentioned 7 books, but I couldn't remember anymore that made any sort of lasting impression on me 😅

💬 Which books did you read in school? If you participated in this week's TTT feel free to drop a link below and I'll check it out! 💬 

Post a Comment

0 Comments

;