Mini Reviews - Heists and Murders



April has been an excellent reading month. Most of the books I read were either 4 or 5 ⭐ You'll notice that all of the books are mystery novels which means I did it!! I stuck to the theme and to the TBR I set at the beginning of the month 😆

1. The Brothers Hawthorne


I've seen a lot of bad reviews and people complaining that Barnes is milking this series...like Meyer didn't do the same to Twilight? Or Tahereh Mafi to the Shatter Me series? Or Kiera Cass to The Selection series?

When a series goes well, you usually wanna continue as long as the hype is going and I don't see a problem with that. The authors have to pay bills too! You don't like the series? THEN DON'T READ THE SEQUELS.

I disliked The Selection series but you don't see me commenting on the sequels "why does this exist? why is this still going on? why is the author milking it" etc. I know some people really loved it and I'm sure they're glad that those books exist. And I'm glad they can enjoy it. Had a bit of a rant lol moving on 😂

I, myself, LOVED The Inheritance Games, and this book may not be 100% perfect like that one was, but I enjoyed it equally. Not all books are meant for everyone. This one was obviously meant for me because I DEVOURED IT. AHH reading about my boys was so much fun.

We need more Nash x Libby content but I'm glad we got to know Gigi and Savannah ♥ I can't wait for the 5th book to come out!!!

2. Five Survive


6 kids are stranded in an RV while a shooter is waiting for them in the woods. Waiting for one of them to reveal a deadly secret. The plot was amazing, filled with twists keeping you guessing until the end.

The characters were all interesting enough with plenty hiding beneath the surface. Red and Arthur were my faves, but I have to say the way Oliver was written - it was so good. I hated him so much, he was despicable. But to make me feel such strong emotions, you have to know how to create fleshed-out characters.

I did guess parts of the story, but it has so many twists that some of them will surely surprise you. It has sort of an open ending. You get to find out what happens immediately after, but there's also an epilogue that adds a bit more to a certain character arc.

I definitely recommend this if you're looking for a quick, intense mystery that also offers insight into what people are capable of when dealing with life-or-death situations.

3. Truly Devious Series


  

The whole series is so much fun and the quality is consistent. There were plenty of clues, evidence, investigations, mysterious items, interrogations etc. It was a full-on crime book. It was fun getting to connect certain points, trying to figure out who is the killer, why did this happen, how did that get here, and so on. 

I especially liked the chapters from the "past" and how the things that happened then, had an influence on the present. How something that seems so insignificant can make a huge difference. Anyways, I kept trying to figure out who did it before it was revealed but I failed 😂 It was still fun investigating with Stevie because she is brilliant and I like the way she thinks, like a proper detective.

I'm kinda mad Stevie and David were still a thing, that boy is a huge red flag and got on my nerves A LOT. Janelle and Nate were precious cinnamon rolls and the best friends Stevie could ask for ♥ The plot was wild and I loved it, the conclusion made sense and I'm glad I didn't guess a thing.

 

Have you read any of these mystery novels? How is your April going? What are you currently reading?

0 comments

;