Aftershocks - Marisa Reichardt


When a magnitude 7.8 earthquake hits California, Ruby is trapped in a laundromat with Charlie, a boy she had her first conversation with only moments before. She can’t see anything beyond the rubble that she’s trapped beneath, but she’s sure someone will come save them soon.

As the hours and days tick by, Ruby and Charlie struggle to stay hopeful—and stay alive. Ruby has only Charlie’s voice and her memories to find the hope to keep holding on.

Will the two make it out alive? And if they do, what will they have lost to the earthquake?

"I'd always thought of aftershocks as the literal rumblings of the ground made after an earthquake, but they're something different to me now. Aftershocks are the part that stays forever, rolling in when you're unprepared, triggered by something big and undeniable or small and unexpected."

I have to say that this story surprised me in many ways. First of all, I expected a certain sub-plot that luckily didn't happen (more on that later) and second of all, even though it is very short, the author managed to create characters complex enough to make me feel for them and their pain. 

This book deals with heavy topics but not in an angsty dramatic movie way. It's more subtle, more realistic. There's an earthquake, they are stuck, there are no epic scenes, no  unexpected heroes to help them - it's just them and the walls around them. I won't spoil any of the plot but I really think the autor did an amazing job in showing how real people would react in such a situation. 

I do have one complaint though. The story moves at a slow pace the first 2/3 of the book and then, the last third is rushed. I get that this is the type of story you can't rush, as I said before, it's subtle, not much happenes and that is okay! That is to be expected BUT, that last part felt very different because I feel like the author wanted to cram as much of the "what happened after" in the last few chapters.

 Besides that, there's only one more thing I wished was a bit different. I kinda hoped we would see what happens on the outside or at least from his point of view. The whole time we are in Ruby's head and see everything through her eyes. I wanted to see how her friends and/or family were doing, or his for that matter. Maybe even random people, idk, but I do wish we got a bigger picture. Maybe that's just me.

Shrug GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Now it's time for my favorite part of these review and that issss judging the cover 😂 One thing I want to say before I absolutely trash this cover is that I will NEVER rate a book based on it's cover. My ratings are always going to be honest and based on whether: I liked the plot, liked the characters, read the book in the right mood or if my dog approved it, BUT THAT'S ALL. Now...let's begin (and yes, of course I picked this judgy fox to put as a banner for this section because I'm just that extra)

 

 

Okay so, I have only one question. Did they choose the colors for this cover blindfolded? Did someone threaten them with a gun? Because only someone who can't see or someone who is forced to do it would pick these colors. The orange and the yellow with brown thrown in there is just...ughhh Also, what is that weird yellow gradient, is that supposed to be a sunset? Honestly, this book deserved so much better 😐


 


 

0 comments

;