Started summer with rom-coms, ended with murder, mystery, and thrills! 😁

McKenna and Jojo deserve all the awards because these two girls carried the whole thing. All the sweet (and not so sweet) sister moments felt so real and something I could connect with. The situation they found themselves in was horrible, but they made the best of it in the only way they knew how. 

I will admit that I got kinda bored in the middle. Although, this is supposed to be more of a character-driven than plot-driven movie so that's more of a "me" thing. There isn't much going on. These girls are just trying to live their everyday life without anyone noticing something's wrong.

The last scene with the locket was one of my faves because it subtly showed some strong character development and the perfect ending to Spider's character arc.

⭐⭐⭐✨

First of all, can I just say how much I love this movie poster? In the era of "show all the characters in the poster and more important ones up close," I adore this bright red color and close-up of her eyes. It looks so intense and perfectly announces the vibe of the movie.

It might not seem like it, but this movie was realistic as heck. This women did everything a normal person would do in this situation - she tried calling for help in numerous ways and she even got creative with her attempts. I have to applaud whoever wrote the script because not only did they create multiple realistic people, they also somehow made it funny.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a comedy, but occasionally, these people would say something a person watching the movie would scream at the screen, and it was SO GOOD. Like, all of the cliches were thrown out the window and I was so happy. The ending does get a bit...ridiculous, but honestly, by then I was already too invested to consider it a bad thing lol

The twist was good and the epilogue was even better. All in all, a solid psychological thriller!

⭐⭐⭐⭐

While scrolling through Letterboxd, I stumbled upon this one-sentence review that summed up this movie in the best way:

"A very cute and heartwarming violent crime thriller." - Patrick Tomasso

Seriously, you've got this charming old guy and his apprentice fixing pianos with a happy-sounding soundtrack, then the plot slowly turns violent, with organized crime as the main point. I mean, this definitely was interesting in a way, but despite it sounding absolutely crazy, the plot dragged so freaking much. Honestly, I wished this movie was a lot shorter. 

My favorite part of the movie though, was its "soundtrack" or the lack of it at times because the main character has an extreme sensitivity to sound so he wears noise-cancelling headphones so we sort of "hear" the world from his perspective. It's definitely worth watching with headphones because you might miss some tiny details without them.

⭐⭐⭐

This was such a unique thriller! While it doesn't have that many action scenes, it's super intense, and having most of the plot rely on expressions more than dialogue was a good choice. The casting was amazing; both main actors did such a good job.

Everything was perfect until the last third - while I appreciate the twist, I think keeping the "OG plot line" would've made for better emotional impact and a more satisfying ending. In any case, loved that most of the movie was made with minimal dialogue, as it made the whole thing more intense.

⭐⭐⭐⭐


💬 Which shows/movies are you currently watching? 💬