What Beauty There Is - Cory Anderson

Winter. The sky is dark. It is cold enough to crack bones.

Jack Morton has nothing left. Except his younger brother, Matty, who he'd do anything for. Even die for. Now with their mother gone, and their funds quickly dwindling, Jack needs to make a choice: lose his brother to foster care, or find the drug money that sent his father to prison. He chooses the money.

Ava Bardem lives in isolation, a life of silence. For seventeen years her father has controlled her fate. He has taught her to love no one. Trust no one. Now Victor Bardem is stalking the same money as Jack. When he picks up Jack's trail, Ava must make her own wrenching choice: remain silent or help the brothers survive.

Choices. They come at a price.

 “Somewhere out there is a dark thing chasing us all.“

I saw a lot of reviews that said this book broke their heart and that it was one of the saddest they read. I agree, this is truly a sad book, but to be honest, I wasn’t that emotional? 

For some reason, I didn’t find Ava a full, layered character and I didn’t understand how Jack “fell in love” with her immediately when he didn’t even know her. I know that they both had trauma which is what they bonded over, but he didn’t know her trauma, so basically he only saw a girl that spent days nurturing them for an unknown reason…which I would consider suspicious. 

On the other hand, I loved Jack and Matty. And if you ask me, they carried the story, along with Bardem. He was so creepy, if he was a Criminal Minds villain he would def be the big bad of the season. 

The survival part was interesting enough, as we have parts of “everyday survival” in terms of having enough money for food, and then the other part is literally surviving a psychopath trying to kill you in the woods. Both parts were intense and sort of sad.

All in all, not a bad book, but not that special, at least to me.



0 comments

;